Goalkeeper shirts can be overlooked by budding shirt enthusiasts. However, there are incredible goalkeeper jerseys out there ready to donned at the local park or sporting event. No goalkeeper has been more iconic in the Premier League period than Peter Schmeichel and he wore some ridiculous and wonderful shirts. We have compiled a list of our favourite five shirts of Schmeichel.
1. Manchester United 1994 – 96 Home. I remember owning this full strip as a young boy with Schmeichel 1 on the back. I hope it isn’t only nostalgia that makes me still think it is simply stunning: the collar, the colours, the ridiculous triangles, the snot green sleeves. Everything about this shirt screams retro classic.
2. Manchester United 1993 – 95 Home. The glory years for Manchester United coincided with brilliant goalkeeping kits. This was another incredibly thick shirt with even more bizarre yet brilliant umbro diamonds laced throughout. The collar and cuff combination is magical.
3. Manchester United Home 1998-99. The treble winning shirt had to make an appearance, not least because it is bold, bright and beautiful. Umbro seemed to have obsession with snot-coloured goalkeeper kits during the 90s but that aside, they nailed the collars, sleeves, cuffs and design.
4. Denmark 1992. The Euro 92 champion’s shirt is as crazy as it is rare. One thing is for sure, no one could complain about not being able to see Schmeichel in goal. Pentagon shapes, bright colours, amazing collar and sleeves, this shirt had Schmeichel written all over it…not literally – just on the back. Kitsman HQ had to add this Hummel masterpiece.
5. Aston Villa 2001-02. An outside shout here with this Diadora piece. Even at the tail end of his career, Schmeichel kept it fashionable.
That completes our top 5 ‘Shirts of Schmeichel’. I for one would love to wear all these shirts, but fashion as we know is subjective. What have we missed out? Have you found any of these shirts at a great price? Let us know and keep on kitting.